Monday, April 18, 2011

Update on my use of Valerian extract

Last week I mentioned that I have started using Valerian extract to help with stress and promote sleep.  Just wanted to update you on my progress. 

So far, so good.  I have noticed that I am, indeed, feeling calmer since I have been using the Valerian. It did take a few days for it to kick in, thou.  I started with a dietary suppliment that was formulated for children becaue that was all I could get ahold of quickly.  That particular formula also had other herbs mixed with it, probably to help with the taste, since Valerian is not a very pleasant tasting herb.  The other herbs were Wood Betony, Chamomile, Fennel seed and Hops, it also contained coconut oil and citric acid. 

I now have "Herb Pharm" brand Valerian extract, made from fresh (undried) rhizome and root, certified organically grown with a base of certified organic grain alcohol.  They also have a Valerian Glycerite version.  It's a one ounce bottle, but, unlike the last one, this contains only Valerian.  Directions say to use 30-40 drops in water from two to five times daily.  Personally, I have no trouble taking a squirt from the dropper straight up. 

The store clerk warned me to get ready for the "stinky feet" smell, but honestly, it doesn't smell that bad to me.  Sure, it smells like a medicine, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "phew" when smelling it.

The effect that I have noticed the most, so far, is the ability to fall asleep much easier.  I have also noticed less stress and will continue to monitor my reaction to this herb and will report on it again in a week or two.



No comments: