Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Philadelphia Flower Show 2011

copyright SHD 2011

Yesterday I visited the Philadelphia Flower Show, the theme was "Spring Time in Paris."  The main display of the Eifle Tower was very nice, as were most of the displays.  I managed to spend way too much money there, but I was in the mood to treat myself to a few nice things for the garden.  

One nice surprise at the show was this replica of Julia Child's herb garden.  Of course, her's were culinary herbs, rather than the medicinal ones we're concerned with.  But the concept of having the herbs close at hand for your use is still the same.  It was a bit difficult getting good shots of this as I don't have a wide angle lens and the crowds made it impossible for me to step back and get a full view, but I did my best.

copyright SHD 2011

The large bush at the top of the steps is rosemary, it is an evergreen and smells fantastic, growing it near your garden gate is supposed to be good luck.

copyright SHD 2011



At the corner of the garden we can see dill, oreganoes and basils.




copyright SHD 2011



In this photo you can see more of the various basils, lavender and tarragon and the beautiful bay laurel tree.






It was a nice, colorful collection of variations of basils, oreganoes and sages, with a few others thrown in for color, size and shape.  If I were doing a kitchen garden, I would not have so many variations of the same species.  But that's just me.

copyright SHD 2011

And....that's about it, not much else to do there except look at the displays and buy stuff.  Not the kind of thing I'm into doing all the time, but it was nice for a change.  Now I have to get serious, start my seedlings and do some spring cleaning so's I'll be organized (Ha, yeah, right), and have a smooth running garden.  Here's hoping.
 
copyright SHD 2011




copyright SHD 2011













No comments: