Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Henbane and White Sage seeds!

I found my stash of white sage and henbane seeds.


Dried seedpods of White Sage


I collected these seeds myself about two years ago when hiking in Washington state.


White Sage Seeds




Whether they are viable or not remains to be seen, I'm hoping for the best.


Dried seed pods of Henbane






I have begun to cold stratify the henbane in the fridge, it will take two weeks.  They are pretty small, as you can see, but there are plenty of seeds that are a lot smaller.


Henbane seeds

As for the seeds I started earlier, the Angelica is still not up yet, it's been 12 days so far.  But I have just learned that they can take up to 30 days to germinate, so I will give those more time.  The Lovage, Borage and Basil are finally up.





3 comments:

Brandy said...

Ooh! Where in Washington State? I'm thinking by the Columbia River?

Do you know Horizon Herbs? I ordered their Old World Collection this year, which has aconite, monkshood, belladonna, henbane, mandrake and poppy. I've grown datura in the past, not trying it this year. I usually grow a dozen or so culinary and medicinal herbs in a 4x4 space, plus comfrey (which has its own area). I'll tell you, my feverfew made it through the coldest weather and is rapidly growing even now.

30x30 is a *lot* of space! I hope you have a wonderful year, I will be eagerly looking forward to your reports.

I'm not sure how this will post, I have a blog at www.kitsapcuisine.com. Well met!

The Gardener said...

Thank you Brandy for the comment, you're my first! I'm so excited. Didn't think anyone was reading my stuff.

As for the henbane and white sage seeds, I'm not sure exactly where I got them, I did spend some time near the Columbia river but also further north in the mountains near Roslyn.

Anonymous said...

IME, Hyoscyamus seeds remain viable for lots of years! cheers , nice blog...